Our quartet is a story of friendship. We know each other since our childhood and we always have shared the passion for playing music and learning.
That decided us one day, around six years ago, to make playing quartets the main endeavour of our lives - because our common ardour was strong and because the differences between our personalities make our music making more vivid.
Robert Gerhard was a catalan composer - he was born in Valls, which is very near our birth place in Catalunya - and he was a pupil of Schoenberg at the beginning of the XXth century. Thanks to Gerhard, people like Webern or Schoenberg himself were visiting Barcelona very often. One can read in their correspondence how amazed they were about the city and the culture at that time, just before the civil war and fascism killed any progress in Spain.
That's why we took the name of Gerhard, because he was a resolute man; he joined the avangarde movement of that time and he fought for his idea of music in a way we feel very identified.
The Quartet Gerhard is distinguished for a remarkable sensitivity for sound and for an inner respect for music as the highest link between human beings.
As a quartet, they have their main roots in Basel (Rainer Schmidt), Berlin (Eberhard Feltz) and Hannover (Oliver Wille).
Prize winners of several national and international competitions, they take part in venues such as the Chamber Music Series at the Stadt-Casino Basel (Switzerland), the Bordeaux String Quartet Festival and Radio France Festival Montpellier (France), the Mozartfest Würzburg and Musikfest Heidelberger Frühling (Germany), the Musikamera series in La Fenice (Italy) the 'Palau de la Música' and Chamber Music Series L’Auditori (Barcelona) and the Muzenforum Concerten Bloemendaal (Holland), among others. It is also remarkable their commitment to music of new creation, appearing in important venues such as the CNDM series in Madrid, Nuit de la Création in Aix-en-Provence and in the series of the Arnold Schoenberg Center in Vienna.
Among other long term projects stands out the String Quartet Academy in Vic (Barcelona), founded by Gerard Claret and Cuarteto Casals. Within this academy they are once per year involved as teachers in the task of conveying the beauty of chamber music making.
Surpassing their early and enthusiastic praise, Quartet Gerhard has shown, beyond all expectation, how talent and perseverance lead to success. The impeccable work of Quartet Gerhard, particularly in the sound, added to the univocal direction they have taken to becoming an established string quartet (something more than four excellent musicians playing together), explains their recognition and reach. With a critically acclaimed debut album under their belt, a good handful of reviews and a calendar of diverse concerts, Gerhard Quartet offers the 2017-2018 season, four new programs that are evidently complex and, to a certain extent, complementary. Repertoires aimed at taking deeper breaths from an already common, shared source. Their poetry expressed in that which is strictly musical but also in that which encases it, mature beneath the presentation of these new programs. A path that forges ahead, towards its own horizon.
Their performances have been broadcasted by Catalunya Radio and RNE (Spain), NDR and SWR (Germany) on a regular basis. Among their discography we can find the CD-Album ‘Portrait’, supported by the new label Seed Music (Spain, 2016), and an upcoming release of their new album with music by Kurtag, Schumann and Berg under the prestigious label of Harmonia Mundi International.
* [01.02.18] Many concerts to come this month with CD presentations and a new world premiere! Badajoz, Barcelona, Madrid... have a look at the concerts agenda!
* [01.01.18] Two reviews coming from Germany and Washington (USA) come with the new year. A new international and prestigious recognition for the new release (Schumann, Kurtag, Berg. Harmonia Nova collection - Harmonia Mundi)
* [01.12.17] The quartet have been selected for playing in the string quartet podium in Philharmonie de Paris. This is an opportunity for emerging ensembles to be listened to by a committee of important figures of the classical music world.
* [01.11.17] The quartet is one of the 8 quartets selected for the new edition of the Irene Steels-Wilsing Stiftung. It will take place in January and it's part of the Heidelberg Festival in Germany.
* [01.10.17] The quartet is going to play in the prestigious event 'Nuit de Quatuor' in Paris. This will happen the next 7th of October and they will play Berg and Schubert in Musée de l'Orangerie and Société Général.
* [01.09.17] The new Album Schumann I Kurtag I Berg have just been released ! Many thanks to Harmonia Mundi for counting on the quartet in this new collection 'Harmonia Nova' and congratulations! Available in the main online shops from now on!
* [01.07.17] Jesús Miralles get a new Louis Bazin bow thanks to the Stichting Haren&Snaren
* [01.06.17] The quartet is happy to join the Alba Gorka - Artist Management Agency in Munich as a cooperation of the general management in Paris
* [01.05.17] A new release is coming soon 'Quartet Gerhard - Kurtag, Schumann, Berg' with the label Harmonia Mundi International . The new CD is part of a new collection of HM and it will come out at the beginning of the season 17/18
* [01.04.17] The quartet is going to premier a new piece in the Aix-en-Provence Festival the next Summer. The piece is by Camille PEPIN and it's a Festival comission for the prestigious event 'Nuit de la création'
* [01.03.17] The quartet has already began to work with Niusic Managment (Paris) as a general management. The agency cooperate with other professionals in Spain, Germany, The Netherlands and Benelux
* [01.02.17] Judit Bardolet get a new violin Romeo Antoniazzi (1916) thanks to Stichting Haren&Snaren
* [01.01.17] The quartet has won the BEST CLASSICAL CD 2016 award for their album 'Portrait'. The prize is by GrupEnderrok and it's a recognizement of the great work of the quartet and the team of Neu and Seed Music