Our quartet is a story of friendship. We know each other since our childhood and we always have shared the passion for playing music and learning.
That decided us one day, around six years ago, to make playing quartets the main endeavour of our lives - because our common ardour was strong and because the differences between our personalities make our music making more vivid.
Robert Gerhard was a catalan composer - he was born in Valls, which is very near our birth place in Catalunya - and he was a pupil of Schoenberg at the beginning of the XXth century. Thanks to Gerhard, people like Webern or Schoenberg himself were visiting Barcelona very often. One can read in their correspondence how amazed they were about the city and the culture at that time, just before the civil war and fascism killed any progress in Spain.
That's why we took the name of Gerhard, because he was a resolute man; he joined the avangarde movement of that time and he fought for his idea of music in a way we feel very identified.
'' The Quartet Gerhard clearly responds to the question why art exists. Its four members commit themselves completely and without ado to their vocation and dedicate themselves with conviction and devotion to serving the best music - including an intelligent choice of contemporary repertoire - to explain, without words, its meaning or, at least, in the best possible conditions offered by the live experience of a concert - to confront us with the mystery of art. ''
'' El Quartet Gerhard respon sense dilacions a la pregunta de per a què
existeix l’art. El seus quatre integrants deixen a banda qualsevol element
accessori i es dediquen, amb certesa i devoció, a servir la millor música —
incloent una intel·ligent tria del repertori contemporani—, per a explicar-
nos, sense paraules, el seu sentit o, com a mínim, per a posar-nos cara a
cara —en les millors condicions possibles que ofereix l’experiència en
directe d’un concert— davant del misteri de l’art.''
- Ramon Humet, composer
The Quartet Gerhard is distinguished for a remarkable sensitivity for sound and for an inner respect for music as the highest link between human beings.
As a quartet, they have their main roots in Basel (Rainer Schmidt), Berlin (Eberhard Feltz) and Hannover (Oliver Wille). They have also worked with other great personalities such as György Kurtág, András Schiff and Ferenc Rados.
Prize winners of several national and international competitions, they take part in venues such as the Chamber Music Series at the Stadt-Casino Basel (Switzerland), the Bordeaux String Quartet Festival and Radio France Festival Montpellier (France), the Mozartfest Würzburg and Musikfest Heidelberger Frühling (Germany) [scholars 2018], the Musikamera series in La Fenice (Italy) the 'Palau de la Música' and Chamber Music Series L’Auditori (Barcelona) and the Muzenforum Concerten Bloemendaal (Holland), among others. It is also remarkable their commitment to music of new creation, appearing in important venues such as the CNDM series in Madrid, Nuit de la Création in Aix-en-Provence and in the series of the Arnold Schoenberg Center in Vienna.
Among other long term projects stands out the String Quartet Academy in Vic (Barcelona), founded by Gerard Claret and Cuarteto Casals. Within this academy they are once per year involved as teachers in the task of conveying the beauty of chamber music making.
Surpassing their early and enthusiastic praise, Quartet Gerhard has shown, beyond all expectation, how talent and perseverance lead to success. The impeccable work of Quartet Gerhard, particularly in the sound, added to the univocal direction they have taken to becoming an established string quartet (something more than four excellent musicians playing together), explains their recognition and reach. With a critically acclaimed debut album under their belt, a good handful of reviews and a calendar of diverse concerts, Gerhard Quartet offers the 2017-2018 season, four new programs that are evidently complex and, to a certain extent, complementary. Repertoires aimed at taking deeper breaths from an already common, shared source. Their poetry expressed in that which is strictly musical but also in that which encases it, mature beneath the presentation of these new programs. A path that forges ahead, towards its own horizon.
Their performances have been broadcasted by Catalunya Radio and RNE (Spain), NDR and SWR (Germany) on a regular basis. Among their discography we can find the CD-Album ‘Portrait’, supported by the new label Seed Music (Spain, 2016), and an upcoming release of their new album with music by Kurtag, Schumann and Berg under the prestigious label of Harmonia Mundi International.
* [01.09.18] The season 18/19 is here! Have a look to the concert agenda. And much more to come!!
* [01.07.18] The 3rd String Quartet Academy is already here! It takes place in Vic (Barcelona) and it will be an exciting week with masterclass, one seminar about Beethoven op.95 and concerts! Join us from the 9th till 13th July!
* [01.06.18] The quartet have had the chance to work with G. Kurtag. They worked with him and Mártha Kurtag an entire day in the Budapest Music Center and it was an absolutely deep and inspiring experience.
* [01.05.18] The quartet will be artist in residence in Palau de la Música Barcelona for the next three seasons! The common thread will be the six Mozart quartets dedicated to Haydn, but they will also play other great masterpieces in there. Join them in this absolutely great artistic experience!
* [01.04.18] The quartet is preparing a new Beethoven op.18 project with HMTMH Hannover. They will play in Hannover and Hamburg.
* [01.03.18] The quartet will take part in the prestigious Musikfestival Heidelberger Frühling. They will play in two concerts with works by Haydn, Mendelssohn and David Bruce.
* [01.02.18] Many concerts to come this month with CD presentations and a new world premiere! Badajoz, Barcelona, Madrid... have a look at the concerts agenda!
* [01.01.18] Two reviews coming from Germany and Washington (USA) come with the new year. A new international and prestigious recognition for the new release (Schumann, Kurtag, Berg. Harmonia Nova collection - Harmonia Mundi)
* [01.12.17] The quartet have been selected for playing in the string quartet podium in Philharmonie de Paris. This is an opportunity for emerging ensembles to be listened to by a committee of important figures of the classical music world.
* [01.10.17] The quartet is going to play in the prestigious event 'Nuit de Quatuor' in Paris. This will happen the next 7th of October and they will play Berg and Schubert in Musée de l'Orangerie and Société Général.
* [01.09.17] The new Album Schumann I Kurtag I Berg have just been released ! Many thanks to Harmonia Mundi for counting on the quartet in this new collection 'Harmonia Nova' and congratulations! Available in the main online shops from now on!
* [01.07.17] Jesús Miralles get a new Louis Bazin bow thanks to the Stichting Haren&Snaren
* [01.06.17] The quartet is happy to join the Alba Gorka - Artist Management Agency in Munich as a cooperation of the general management in Paris
* [01.05.17] A new release is coming soon 'Quartet Gerhard - Kurtag, Schumann, Berg' with the label Harmonia Mundi International . The new CD is part of a new collection of HM and it will come out at the beginning of the season 17/18
* [01.04.17] The quartet is going to premier a new piece in the Aix-en-Provence Festival the next Summer. The piece is by Camille PEPIN and it's a Festival comission for the prestigious event 'Nuit de la création'
* [01.03.17] The quartet has already began to work with Niusic Managment (Paris) as a general management. The agency cooperate with other professionals in Spain, Germany, The Netherlands and Benelux
* [01.02.17] Judit Bardolet get a new violin Romeo Antoniazzi (1916) thanks to Stichting Haren&Snaren
* [01.01.17] The quartet has won the BEST CLASSICAL CD 2016 award for their album 'Portrait'. The prize is by GrupEnderrok and it's a recognizement of the great work of the quartet and the team of Neu and Seed Music